List of Knee Injuries
List of Common Knee Injuries from playing sports and/or just every day activities:
- Bruises - both bone and tissue bruising
- Tendon ruptures - tendinitis, "jumper's knee"
- Ligament sprains - the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) are the two most commonly injured ligaments in the knee.
- Joint dislocations - bones of the knee pushed out of place - a "Patellar Subluxation"
- Bone fractures - broken patella (knee cap)
- Cartilage tears - meniscus
ACL and PCL ligament injuries can be caused by:
- A hard blow to the knee.
- Twisting your knee (common).
- Over extension of the knee.
- Jumping and landing on a flexed (bent) knee.
- Stopping to quickly when running.
- Rapid shifting weight from one leg to the other.
ACL (anterior cruciate ligament ) injuries are common among skiers, basketball players, gymnasts, volleyball players football players and other sports individuals.
How can you tell if you have an ligament injury?
- Pain, inflammation and swelling come on suddenly.
- Sometimes you may hear a "popping" or "snap" at the time of the injury.
- Visible swelling.
- Difficulty walking and bending the knee.
- Intense pain when standing and bearing weight.
We recommend a thorough examination from your physician for diagnosis.